The Kenosha Unified School District is considering a new safety policy that would allow metal detectors and student searches, following two gun-related incidents at Bradford High School this week.
The proposed policy, expected to be reviewed by the school board later this month, would permit the use of metal detectors, handheld screening wands, and student searches when there is “reasonable suspicion of a weapon.” The plan was first recommended by the district’s Safety Committee in July 2025.
The committee, formed in late 2024 after a school threat, includes school board members, administrators, principals, and representatives from the Kenosha Police Department.
Superintendent Jeffrey Weiss said the district is evaluating additional safety measures as part of a broader strategy.
“When we look at safety and security, we think of it in layers,” Weiss said to WPR. “We know it’s not one solution that will fix every problem. But this is another layer that we need to add.”
Weiss added that securing building entrances will also remain a priority. “That’s another layer,” he said. “I think that as we continue to stack these up, we’re doing the best we can to keep all students safe.”
The proposed policy gained urgency after two separate incidents at Bradford High School earlier this month. (RELATED: Records Raise Questions Over Elmbrook Referendum Planning Before Formal Vote)
On Feb. 12, police arrested a 15-year-old student after locating multiple firearm magazines and ammunition in his possession. Authorities said officers searched the student after receiving information that he had access to a firearm off school grounds. Police do not believe the gun was brought onto campus.
The day before, officers recovered a loaded firearm from a 16-year-old student during a struggle at the school.
The district’s Personnel/Policy Committee reviewed the proposed safety measures on Feb. 12, ahead of the full board’s scheduled discussion on Feb. 24.
Some parents have expressed support for the proposed changes. Kenosha parent Sarah Baldwin said she does not view the district as unsafe but supports reasonable safety precautions.
“We use them in Racine when we attend football games and basketball games at the schools,” Baldwin said. “I can’t imagine someone not wanting to put in a measure that might make their kids safer.”
If approved, the policy would align Kenosha with other Wisconsin districts, including Racine Unified and Milwaukee Public Schools, which have implemented metal detectors as part of their school security protocols.
The school board is expected to consider the proposal at its upcoming meeting later this month. (RELATED: Steil Unveils “MEGA Act,” a Sweeping Federal Push for Voter ID, Paper Ballots, and Tighter Election Rules)

